How to make KENKEY (fermented maze dumpling) calories and recipe. also called KORMI or DORKUNU
WHAT IS IT ?
Simple and tasty, Originally from Western Africa.
It is similar to sourdough dumplings and could be served with soup, stew or grilled fish.
The only thing to consider is the preparation that requires few days for the fermentation process
HOW TO MAKE IT:
You can find lot of recipes and videos online if you want something more elaborate.
This is a simplified version:
- 2 cups of cornmeal
- 1 table spoon of corn starch
- dry corn husks
- put the cornmeal and starch in a bowl
- add warm water (same amount like the cornmeal so 2 cups in this case)
- stir for a smooth dough
- cover the bowl and leave it for 2 days in a warm place (fermentation)
- Now that the dough is ready, scrap any mould formed
- Separately in a container Boil 2 cups of water and add salt inland after that put half of the dough in the water and mix it for 10 min (medium heat)
- after 10 min. remove it from heat but continue to mix/stir
- divide the dough in 3 portions and put them onto corn husks
- now we have to make the balls shape from it
- last step you can steam or pressure cook them, respectively for 90 or 20 min (to double check the specificities instructions of the one you own)
As a portion try to have half a ball plus grilled fish or soup and separate veggies, in this way the amount of calories won't be too high and you can leave the rest for the next meals
FOR HALF A BALL:
CALORIES: 380 KCAL
CARBS: 96 gr (but majority of that are fibres)
FAT: 4 gr
PROTEIN: 12 gr